Every year, before the first freeze, the ritual of irrigation “blow out” becomes the priority for all irrigation systems that are in regions of the country where the frost level extends below the depth of the installed piping.
Due to the potential dangers involved with winterization, it is best to call “Croydon Gardening Services” professionals. Even if you have drained some water out of the system, the remaining water can freeze, expand and crack the PVC piping (rigid, white pipe), usually from fitting to fitting. Freezing water in the backflow assembly will damage the internal components and could possibly crack the brass body.
To minimize the risk of freeze damage to your irrigation system, you’ll need to “winterize” your irrigation system. Irrigation systems in areas where “winterization” is mandatory are installed using one of three types of water removal in mind: manual drain, auto drain, or blowout.
SPRINKLER SYSTEMS WINTERIZATION
We will come to your property, shut off the system and remove water from every zone in your irrigation system. Then we will also winterize your backflow device and turn off your irrigation controller.
We will take the following 8-step process to make sure that every component of your sprinkler system is fully protected:
- Shut off water pressure to your irrigation system via main gate valve
- Open main drain valve at beginning of system to drain out main line
- Open drain valve inside electric valve box (if applicable) to drain lateral lines
- Manually open all electronic valves to allow lateral lines to drain into mainline
- Keep valve solenoids and bleeder valves open for winter
- Open test ports on backflow device in order to winterize backflow device
- Close gate valves on backflow device
- Leave check-list on your door detailing the steps we took and notes regarding your system
SPRINKLER SYSTEMS ACTIVATION
After laying dormant for many cold winter months, your sprinkler system needs to be turned on and fully inspected before it can be put to use in the spring. During a spring startup, we will do a full zone-by-zone inspection and test every head.
Here is a detailed list of procedures that we do during a spring startup:
- Inspect and fix every sprinkler head, zone, and valve for leaks or other damage.
- Clean nozzles of clogs
- Adjust heads to align spray pattern
- Examine system for any leaks or dry spots
- Setting the appropriate watering time for each zone on the controller
- Spring Activation
- Peace of Mind
We are also one of the only companies in the area that offersa 24-hour Emergency Irrigation Repair service. Ask about our yearly sprinkler systems maintenance contract bundling all three of our yearly irrigation maintenance services including Spring Activation, Winterization, and Backflow testing and save big time.
If you would like your sprinkler system activated for the spring or winterized to prepare for the winter, feel free to contact us today at 07715 298709
Handy tip ! Dont leave your pressure washer in the shed since the water inside it can freeze and render it useless. This also invalidates the manufacturers guarantee .